Fireworks is a digital media company that combines storytelling, data and technology to create meaningful experiences. Fireworks is a young startup that seeks to create the future of media and tech in Africa. We are a family of creatives and techies that just want to make a meaningful impact in our world. Fireworks media brands include YOUNG, TORITORI and YANGA.
YOUNG is looking to hire a remote culture writer to work on covering developing news, industry trends, and reviews on music, film, TV and literature, both for Nigerian and foreign media. We are looking for a writer with a well-developed voice and strong point of view to contribute reviews, interviews, daily news about the global and Nigerian entertainment industry, and informed critical takes about the way technology is changing it.
We’re looking for a voracious TV watcher with a demonstrably broad interest in what’s going on in the medium, both behind the scenes and on the screen. We are also looking for a writer who has a pulse on both global and Nigerian pop culture. As a culture writer at YOUNG, you’d be exploring how different people imagine the future, both on individual TV series and across platforms.
YOUNG is fast-paced and broad in scope, so agility and the ability to work under a tight deadline are key. The ideal candidate will be an experienced critic with a journalistic background and a proven ability to produce thoughtful, knowledgeable criticism, and a strong talent for conceptualizing, pitching, and producing persuasive essays and reviews.
- Research and cover television shows through a variety of forms, which may include talent interviews, content reviews, news briefs, long-form essays, and podcast or video content
- Generate weekly ideas for new features, reports, columns, and essays
- Work with the assistant editor and other departments to improve existing content and coverage
- A practiced, confident voice with strong knowledge of the television business, including industry trends, popular shows, and current technology
- Fantastic organizational skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects at a time
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to confidently produce creative ideas and angles, and craft well-ordered, thoughtful, compelling arguments
- Strong reporting skills, including an understanding of fact-checking, journalistic ethics, and report structure
- A demonstrable keen interest in television and television fandom, technology, and the field of cultural and critical writing
- The ability to write both concise, punchy short takes on developing news, and ambitious longform features
- Fluency with online publishing and organizational tools
- Preferred candidate will be based in New York
Please submit a cover letter, links to three culture stories you have written, and include three story ideas you would pitch at our weekly meetings to email@example.com
CORRECTION: send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org