Fireworks is a digital media company that combines storytelling, data and technology to create meaningful experiences. Fireworks is a young startup that seeks to create the future of media and tech in Africa. We are a family of creatives and techies that just want to make meaningful impact in our world. Fireworks media brands includes YOUNG, toritori and YANGA.
To support these efforts, we’re looking for an associate social media manager. The ideal candidate will be highly creative, a strong writer, and a self-starter who can also collaborate well in a team environment. Someone who is curious and passionate and thrives on change in an evolving digital landscape will excel in this role.
You’ll be a key part of the editorial process, working with writers to optimise their stories before publication, and making sure they follow best practices for headlines, images, and SEO. Together with the other members of the social media team, you’ll share stories to the right audience at the right place and time. You’ll also be involved with thinking about overall strategy, proposing and running new experiments, and constantly refining our best practices.
Tasks and responsibilities include:
• Help run Fireworks social media accounts, leading to an increase in followers, engagement, and on- and off-site views
• Provide feedback to writers and editors on search and social headlines and share images
• Create content to accompany stories, like GIFs and video clips
• Work with the visuals team to optimise charts and graphics for social
• Pull and analyse data to inform best practices for our social accounts and overall audience strategy
Skills and experience our ideal candidate has:
• Experience running social media for a major media outlet or brand (not compulsory)
• Incredible attention to detail and intolerance for errors
• Impeccable news judgment. A background in journalism is strongly preferred.
• Creative writing skills and the ability to quickly explain a story under pressure
• Extensive knowledge of all mainstream, and some emerging, social channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
• Experience with SEO and/or video editing a plus
This is a full-time role and will be expected to work out of our Abuja office.
To apply, please submit the following items:
• A 280-character cover letter (DO NOT SEND a traditional cover letter)
• Your resume
• Your social media accounts
• A list of the social accounts for a brand, media org, etc. that you currently manage (or examples of posts from when you did manage)
• Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fireworks values thinkers, creatives and obsessives from all backgrounds. Our teams are looking to hire the right person — not the right resume. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.