Almost all dads around the world want to be ‘cool’, some try too hard and end up sucking at it. Well, let me be the first to tell you that you have the ‘Cool Dad Syndrome’. You’re a young father and you want your kids to see you as the world’s best dad, you want to hang around them all the time, be in their business and show them that you know whats up! Please don’t do that, especially when you have teenagers. You would only make them feel you’re being needy.
Before I say more, I’d like you to know that being a cool dad costs a lot of money. Buying the latest gadgets and clothes for you and your kids doesn’t sound so cheap and you spend most of your time and money on here and now without thinking about the future.
Now, a lot of dads out there will disagree with me and it’s totally okay but if you don’t know how to relate with your kids without doing too much and being all over their business you may end up pushing your kids away.
Here are a few symptoms of the Cool Dad Syndrome
1. Dressing like teenager
2. Trying hard to join trends that are clearly for teenagers
3. Being too clingy, loud and attracting too much attention in public
4. Letting your kids get away
5. Spending a lot of money to keep up with technology and fashion for you and your kids.
6. Asking your kids about girls/boys they like
If you don’t any of these then you’ve been torturing your kids but there’s a way to conquer the cool dad syndrome.
1. Be affectionate with your kid but don’t be too clingy. Let them have some space to themselves.
2. Don’t try to compete for your kids friends with them. BE a dad. Stay in your lane.
3. Dress like an adult please and leave the cool clothes for the kids.
4. Scold your kids when they have done the wrong thing. Train them to be better than you.
5. Live by example. If you inspire your kids, you won’t need to hustle for their attention. They will want to spend more time with you.
So if you think you’ve been too much of a cool dad, maybe it’s time to tone it down a little. Happy Parenting.